Wednesday, January 2, 2013

No Greater Call

So I got Teaching, No Greater Call for a class a while back and I loved what I read of it but I didn't read anymore than was required for the class. I recently decided that I should read the whole thing and on the first page there is this quote that got me thinking about the power of teaching:

"As teachers you stand upon the highest peak in education, for what teaching can compare in priceless value and in far-reaching effect with that which deals with man as he was in the eternity of yesterday, as he is in the mortality of today, and as he will be in the forever of tomorrow. Not only time but eternity is your field."

I love the last sentence "Not only time but eternity is your field". I am a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints I believe that the knowledge gained in this life will carry over into the next. Due to the knowledge I have of this I see the importance of teaching. Not only teaching so that students are more knowledgeable when they leave my classroom but also so that they can see how to act. I want to teach through my actions as well as my words. I love the idea that what I teach my students will be with them in the eternities but as much as I love that idea it also scares me. My actions and words will be shaping the youth of the future and as scary as that can be I know that the Lord is watching over me and will help me to teach my students successfully.

No comments:

Post a Comment