Sunday, April 21, 2013

The Will of God

I have been re-reading one of my favorite books. This book focuses on living your life with a focus on the Gospel and growth in your situation. I have been contemplating some of the ideas within this book and I would like to share some of those thoughts today...

I would like to address the idea of goals. I am not the person I want to be. I like to think that I am a good person but I know I can be better. In making goals to improve myself I need to remember that "the achievement of some important goals in our lives is subject to more than the timing of the Lord. Some personal achievements are also subject to the agency of others... Do you see the difference between committing to what you will do, in contrast to trying to plan that you will be... married by the time you graduate from college or that you will earn at least X amount of dollars on your first job?" This thought was poignant to me it is important that I not make goals that depend on someone else. The book goes on to state that though we cannot justify goals that are 'subject to the agency of others' we can develop goals that will help us be better prepared. "Life has some strange turns. Do your best and then trust in the Lord and his timing." If we can have patience enough to accept the Lords timing we will be blessed! That does not mean that we wait to live our live we need to make plans an prepare to move on with our lives but we also need to stay focused on the Lord and strive to follow his will. Elder Oaks stated "Do not rely on planning every event of your life- even every important event. Stand ready to accept the Lord's planning and the agency of others in matters that inevitably affect you. Plan, of course, but fix your planning on personal commitments that will carry you through no matter what happens." I know that I can grow in many ways and I know that as I struggle to improve myself I can always trust in the Lord and ask for guidance and he will give it to me!



No comments:

Post a Comment