Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Happenings


So life after practicum has been crazy! Here is what has happened...

1) I got an internship!!!! Starting in July (year-round school) I will be teaching 3rd grade at Jordan Ridge Elementary, if you want to know more about the school you can look here! I am so excited and I can't wait to get started and meet my 3rd graders!!! I will be on A track and I have a friend also on A track so we are planning exotic vacations to China and Africa... Well maybe in the future, but very possibly California.

2) My grandmother died. On Friday April 5th I was out shopping with a friend when I started feeling uneasy,  we ended up heading home soon after and I felt like calling my parents, they had just gotten home and went to grandma's room to find that she was not breathing. She died soon after. This was tough for me because I have never had anyone close to me die before and I have never really gone to a funeral of someone I knew before. But I know that she is in a better place now (More to come on my amazing grandmother later). The night before the funeral we had a family meeting  (Samoan tradition) where all the extended family (my grandpa's mother's brother's children included) came and were able to share rememberances of my grandmother, it was lovely. On Saturday we had the funeral and we actually watched them lower the coffin and the concrete into the ground before leaving the cemetery (Samoan tradition). This morning I got an email including a video of my grandma that I want to share, it was taken soon before she passed away. 

3) I had my last day of classes as an undergrad today!!!!!! I still have finals but I am so close to done and I cannot wait to actually graduate. In the meantime I will be satisfied with having my own classroom for a year!  But seriously, being done with classes is great but I will miss the amazing girls that I have met and befriended on the way to graduation! I hope we can all stay in touch...

4) General Conference happened and was great! Although I enjoyed conference I was not as focused as I could have been so I will go back and reread the talks but I loved the ideas presented. I especially liked Sister Wixom's talk about children and the way we speak to them.

Okay so maybe it is only four things... I feel like there has been much more that has happened but at the moment my brain is not cooperating so those four it shall be.


1 comment:

  1. Hey! This is Lizi Fesler, I made the video and I just wanted to say she really was a lovely lady. I know I didn't know her very well but she knew where her priorities were.

    ReplyDelete