Sunday, May 5, 2013

Seeking the Light

Today in Relief Society our President gave a great lesson based on Dieter F. Uchtdorf's talk from last conference "The Hope of God's Light". The talk was a great one and the lesson brought up many ideas that I had not previously considered...

To me, the most interesting idea that showed up from the lesson is the idea of light vs. dark. When thinking about the light and the dark I decided that there is not really such a thing as darkness. It is not tangible you cannot 'create' darkness. Darkness only comes when you remove the light. When you fill your life with light there is no darkness. Darkness cannot be where the light is and that is something that I often forget but at the same time it is something that is crucial to remember. If we are constantly putting light in our life we are removing all traces of darkness because they cannot dwell together after all darkness is defined as the absence of light. One day in institute we referred to the water bottle metaphor. We talked about how when you fill the water bottle with water or good things (Light) there is no room for air or sin (darkness) but if you get rid of some of the water there is more room for air. By filling our bottle with light we are removing all darkness because the darkness cannot occupy the areas where there is light.

In his address President Uchtdorf refers to John 8:12 "I am the light of the word: he that followeth me shall not walk in darkness, but shall have the light of life". Through following the Savior we are able to continue in our growth and live to fulfill our potential. The idea of light and its application in the gospel fascinates me and I hope that as I study the scriptures and the words of our prophets that I will continue to learn more about the light and how to have it in my life.

Elder Bednar did a three part series concerning the ideas of light, this is the first.

By the way... My 100th post! Go me!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment